Friday, March 21, 2014

Reading with Laya: The Dark by Lemony Snicket

Book: The Dark
Author: Lemony Snicket
Illustrator: Jon Klassen
Age Range: 3 to 7 years

Book Trailer:


I love this book trailer. The minute I saw this one, I knew this was a book I HAD to read with Laya considering the fear of the dark has been one of her biggest fears!

I totally love "the dark" has been personified in this book.. A character that lives in the basement and wraps itself around the house's door and windows when the sun goes down. So whimsical! Laya could immediately relate to Laszlo ("L for Laya, L for Laszlo" was the first thing that caught her eye. "He's scared of the dark! Just like me!" was the added bonus).

And in their unique way, Snicket and Klassen show us why we don't have to be frightened of the dark.

The illustrations are fabulous and this is a great enjoyable read for both parents and kids.

And the only thing that can be better than the book is the audio version of this book narrated by Neil Gaiman himself! What more can you ask for!

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

This sounds terrific for little ones!

Literary Feline said...

I hadn't heard of this one before but it does sound good! Mouse hasn't shown a fear of the dark (and hopefully won't), but she does seem a little leery of heights these days. Part of me wonders if that is something she picked up from her dad and me.