Monday, March 24, 2014

Missed Connections

Book: Missed Connections
Illustrator: Sophie Blackall



I am a total sucker for all things (even vaguely) romantic. When I first heard of the craigslist Missed Connections project, I thought it was the coolest idea ever! Every listing is a possible love story waiting to happen. Every line is written with hope and a dash of optimism.

 Like in this post that was posted in the NY craigslist missed connections section today:
you: red/black plaid shirt, amazing blue eyes
me: green jacket, navy baseball hat, beard, yoga mat
you smiled, we mouthed "hi"....should have stayed on the train and talked to you....guess this is the next best action....hope you find it

Will the lady with the “amazing blue eyes” please ping the bearded man with the yoga mat? :)

But here’s something that makes this cool little romantic project uber cool. Sophie Blackall, a children’s book illustrator (of the Ivy and Bean books fame), found inspiration in these listings and started a little project in 2009 illustrating posts that caught her eye. 



In her blog, she writes –
Messages in bottles, smoke signals, letters written in the sand; the modern equivalents are the funny, sad, beautiful, hopeful, hopeless, poetic posts on Missed Connections websites. Every day hundreds of strangers reach out to other strangers on the strength of a glance, a smile or a blue hat. Their messages have the lifespan of a butterfly. I'm trying to pin a few of them down.



And with watercolors, amazing talent, her quirky imagination she gives life to some of the missed connections. Her whimsical paintings have a Maira Kalman feel to them. They are beautiful. And her blog went viral. And soon, the insanely popular missed connections illustrations became a charminglittle book. I have looked at the pictures on her blog but nothing matches the experience of holding the book in hand and thumbing through the pages or opening a page at random to gaze at a story – sometimes witty, sometimes slightly creepy, and sometimes heart-warming – but always delightful. 


Buy this book on Amazon.com

3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I knew Blackall's name was familiar! This looks delightful!

Jenny @ Reading the End said...

I got this book for my sister a few years ago! New York City Transit also commissioned Blackall to do a piece of subway art based on these same images, and it was absolutely my favorite of the subway arts. When I moved away from New York I bought one of those posters so I wouldn't have to lose it. :)

thegalnxtdoor said...

Hey there! I never knew about this book at all.. but it sounds so very delightful. Thanks for writing about it here. Will definitely check it out. :)