Friday, January 24, 2014

Reading with Laya: Blueberries for Sal



When picking books to read with a three year old, you can't go wrong with classics. Blueberries for Sal is one such book.

The first thing I noticed about the book is that the illustrations are in black and white. It is such a stark difference compared to the brightly colored books we've been reading lately (especially the barefoot books!) and I didn't know if it would keep Laya's interest. Surprisingly, the lack of color made her concentrate more on the drawing and she notices things in the illustrations that I didnt really notice!

Blueberries for Sal is a really cute book.. A little bear cub and little Sal go with their respective mothers to Blueberry hill and suddenly start following the wrong mothers. The mistaken identity and the mothers' reactions crack Laya up totally! She loves this book and we read it often during our evening snacks especially when we have a big bowl of blueberries to dig into.

It's also a very informative and educational book. We used this book as an opportunity to talk about bears and how they stock up on food during summer and fall so that they can hiberate during the winters. I also tried telling her about seasonal fruits and vegetables but I think she's still a little too young to understand that especially since she gets her berries year round!

We have a puffin story time CD along with the book and when I am busy cooking or doing something else, Laya likes to play the CD and follow along with the pictures in the book. I should get more of these read along CDs!

3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I remember that book from my childhood!

Literary Feline said...

I haven't heard of this book! It sounds wonderful though. I will have to look for it for Mouse.

Ramya Prabhu said...

@bermudaonion - isn't this the cutest book? I really like it!

@literaryfeline - you should definitely read this one to her.. She'll love it!