Friday, December 3, 2010

Review: Luka and the Fire of Life

Title: Luka and the Fire of Life
Author: Salman Rushdie
Genre: Fiction
Publisher: Knopf Canada
ISBN: 978-0-676-97756-1
Pages: 240
Short Reviews: Rushdie proves that he is a master storyteller in this charming little tale meant for a young audience.


I walked in to Barnes and Noble on Black Friday to pick up some holiday gifts for family. The first thing I saw after entering the store, on the "Latest Arrivals" rack, was a bright blue book written by Salman Rushdie. It immediately went in to my shopping bag and I started my holiday purchases with a gift for myself;) You know I can never resist a Rushdie!

Luka and the Fire of Life is almost like a sequel to Haroun and the Sea of Stories. They are both meant for a younger audience. I am yet to read Haroun and the Sea of Stories so I can't really compare the two books. I guess that is also a reason why I found Luka and the Fire of Life interesting and fresh.. Maybe if I had read Haroun, I wouldn't find the idea of this book very novel.

Rushdie brings a modern twist to the tale by making Luka's adventure a sort of a video game journey with many lives and different levels.

The alternate world that Rushdie creates demonstrates once again his power as a story teller. He has a vivid imagination and has the wonderful ability to put all this thoughts down in words - perfect words that help recreate the world in the minds of the readers. Though meant for a younger audience, there's so much in the book for adults as well - the wonderful word play that is a delightful part of all his works and an "almost-overdose" of mythological characters that demonstrates rushdie's strong hold in history makes up for a redundant storyline of a boy entering a magical world to save his father who created the world in his imagination..

I am a sucker for Rushdie books and so my review would definitely be biased. I don't think I could ever get myself to dislike a Rushdie novel - I am sure I'll read it over and over again until I find things in it that I like:) So don't trust me 100% when I say this is a very enjoyable book. I have read reviews that don't echo this emotion but I would leave it to you to read and decide what you feel about it. Unlike a few of his other works this is a very simple and quick read and you'd breeze through it in no time!

4 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I've always been intimidated by Rushdie's work, so a lighter book might be a good one for me to try.

Swapna said...

I totally agree with you, but I'm also biased towards Rushdie!!

Veens said...

I have tried one book by him, and never got around finishing it. Maybe this one will be better.

Trish said...

Despite having loved Midnight's Children I'm too intimidated to read anything else by Rushdie. But I had no idea this and Haroun were books written for a younger audience. Maybe more accessible than The Satan Verses which is laughing at me from the shelf right now. ;)

Hope you're doing well!