Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Review: The Sharper the knife, the less you cry

Book: The Sharper the Knife, the less you cry.
Author: Kathleen Flinn
Genre: Memoir/Cooking
My Rating: 3.5 stars
Short Review: Interesting and easy flowing. A quick read.

When Kathleen Flinn was laid off from her corporate job - she did something that she thought would just remain a dream. She moved to Paris to study at Le Cordon Bleu. Cooking was her passion ever since she was a kid  and her sister's love for all things French was addictive as well, I guess. The combination - Le Cordon Bleu! Nothing less.
Before she realized what was happening, Kathleen and her then boyfriend, Mike, moved to Paris and she enrolled in Le Cordon Bleu. The book describes (in detail) the two years that she spent in Paris. It is mainly about the school and what she learnt there but it is also sprinkled a little romance, a little humor and tons of tried and tested recipes!
"The Sharper Your Knife, The Less You Cry" is an interesting story. It flows easily and Flinn manages to keep you entertained and engrossed throughout the book. It provides an interesting insight into the activities of the students. The language is simple. But I must mention that sometimes, it just feels like you are reading someone's journal. I would have prefered it to be more of a story- not just a description of day to day activities.
Nevertheless, I enjoyed reading the book and it was a good book to read after a long break. I don't think anything deeper could have held my attention.

Have you read this book? What are your thoughts?

6 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I bought this book when I found it on sale, but I haven't read it yet. I'm glad to see it's a quick, easy read. Thanks for your review.

S. Krishna said...

I got this from Penguin in honor of their 75th anniversary. I'm excited to read it!

Veens said...

Sounds like a good book. But you are right, it would have been nice to read it as a story :)

Eva @ One Swede Read said...

Thanks for the heads-up - I have this in the TBR-pile and it's great to know the format beforehand since I too prefer a more fluid narrative. Looks like a good read, though!!

Mystica said...

I havent read or heard about this book but the storyline - it takes a lot of courage to step out of the box! It sounds glorious but I dont know whether I can step out of my comfort zone so easily.

btsvoice said...

I sort of couldn't get to the end of this book. Found it to be a little too detailed around each of the classes and the recipes.