Thursday, April 9, 2009

Review: Secret Keeper

Book: Secret Keeper


Author: Mitali Perkins

Genre: YA Novel

My Review: A sweet and simple book full of powerful messages of strength, sacrifice, love and affection.

My Rating: 4 Stars


The Secret Keeper is one example of a YA novel that can most definitely be read by and enjoyed by readers of all ages. I fell in love with the cover of the book as soon as I saw it and I wanted to read it even before I knew what it was about. Reading the summary of the book only made me want to read it more!



The Secret keeper is based in India in the 1970s. There is an economic crisis in the country and jobs are scarce. Asha lives with her parents and her older sister Reet in Delhi. Asha’s dad is forced to move to New York to find an engineering job to better support his family. In the meantime, Asha, Reet and their mother move to Calcutta to live with Asha’s father’s family. The name of book comes from Asha’s secret companion – her very own diary where she writes about everything she wants to. The diary, with its own lock and key, is her very own “secret keeper”.



In this book, Mitali Perkins beautifully describes the cultures and traditions followed in India in the 70s. Through Asha’s experiences she brings to light the restrictions that girls in India had to face during those years. Through Reet’s experiences, she describes the complex arranged marriage system followed in India.

I enjoyed the vivid descriptions of life in Calcutta in the 1970s. Asha and Reet shared a very loving relationship and it was endearing to see the things they did for each other.

I definitely did not expect the book to end the way it did. I was a little upset as soon as the book ended and then the more I thought about the book, I realized that the twist at the end only made the book more enjoyable and more memorable.


I definitely recommend this book to teens as well as to adults. Thanks to Mitali Perkins for sending me a reviw copy of this book.

Have you read “The Secret Keeper”? What did you think of it? Did you like the way it ended?

Haven’t read the book? Read it soon and come back here to discuss it with me!

7 comments:

bermudaonion said...

The book sounds so good and I love the cover, too.

Dar said...

I noticed the cover right away. How could you not notice the innocence of those beautiful eye lashes. YOu always read the most interesting kind of books Ramya and this one is no different. It's what I love about reading your reviews-they are always something new and interesting to me.

Amy said...

Well I think I answered your comment on my blog, but I think you're right about the ending...it really couldn't have ended any other way. But it was heartbreaking and lovely all at the same time.

Teddy Rose said...

Rama, please check you email. You win a book on my blog and only have one more day to respone, otherwise I will have to give it to someone else.

S. Krishna said...

I want to read this one. Thanks for the review!

Ramya said...

@bermudaonion - you should give it a shot.. it is a YA Novel but definitely appropriate for all ages.

@dar - Thanks, Dar.I must say I somerimes go for a book only because of the cover.. but it usually works out well for me..:)

@amy - i know! I kept hoping that things would turn around but they never did.. I was a little upset as soon as the book was over.. but now I can appreciate the ending much more!

@teddy - oops! thanks for the reminder!

@swapna - you haven't read this one as yet? For some reason I thought I came across a review for it on your blog first.. guess I was mistaken! read it.. I am sure you'll enjoy it:)

Anna said...

This is the first I've heard of this book. It sounds good, though. I'll have to remember this one for later, when I tame my TBR pile a bit.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric