Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Choice

There are times when you want to just curl up on the couch with a bag of potato chips and a nice book - Something that is gripping and yet doesn’t require you to think too much. I usually go for a chick-lit or a nice romance book for such times. And I just found the perfect author for days like that. After watching “The Notebook”, I have always wanted to read the book and see if I would like it as much as I liked the movie. I didn’t get to read the notebook, but I did get to read “The Choice” by the same author – Nicholas Sparks. I won this book in a giveaway… Thank you Anna! It was a very enjoyable book!
I don’t want to say too much about the story of The Choice. If you haven’t read it, you should and you’ll know what I am talking about. I loved discovering the twists in the tale as I read through it and I loved the suspense of not knowing what happens next and I want it to be the same way for you.
A few of us were having a discussion a couple of weeks ago. There are times when you finish a beautifully written heavy novel and then you are just not in the mood for another heavy book. Even if you do actually get to picking up one, you’ll realize that you don’t enjoy it as much as you would have if you hadn’t read it immediately after an intense read. The Choice is perfect for times like that; for times when you want to just unwind. When you want to smile and cry as you read without actually feeling the pain… I love that kind of a book. I am such a romantic at heart and books like this will always hold a nice place in my heart.
So if you are looking for a light read, and you haven't read "The Choice" already, grab a copy! You won't regret it!:)

11 comments:

Dar said...

I loved The Choice but then I'm a huge Nicholas Sparks fan. Glad you enjoyed it Ramya.

Violet said...

I love Nicholas Spark.

Have you ever read James Patterson's romantic novels. I think there are only 2, but they are fab.

Priya Iyer said...

i am a big time fan of nicholas sparks. :) being a huge mush lover, that is but obvious :)

i read 'the choice' too some time back. somehow, i loved his other books like 'a walk to remember' and 'the rescue' and 'the notebook' more than 'the choice'.

and i know exactly what you mean about the heavy-light books thing.. i feel it too.. and i usually prefer sparks's books to fill in such gaps.. i talk about it to my frnds who dont read and they look at me as if i hav gone crazy.. 'heavy' and 'light' books??? :P

Madeleine said...

You are so right. My choice of easy reading while enjoying the authors style is Sophie Kinsella. I went to my local library yesterday and bought for $2.00 her newest in hardback "REMEMBER ME?" When the library has to many copies of a book it goes on sale, $1.00 for trade paperbacks and $2.00 for hard backs, pretty good.

Ramya said...

@Dar- what was your fav Sparks? Suggest one.. I am thinking of picking up my next book!:)

@violet - thanks for the suggestion. I have never read any James Patterson's books. Shall google the names!:)

@priya - i want to read "The Notebook" definitely. Shall make note of the other names as well.:) and lol..why do you think i have a book blog? my friends just got tired of me talking about books and i need a place to vent;)

@madeleine - i love sophie kinsella books as well.. they are so light and easy to read and so entertaining! and wow! you get that for $2.00? that's awesome! i need to read "remember me".. i think that's the only book of hers that I haven't read as of now..:)

Dar said...

Oh my, that's a hard question since I really can't say I've read a bad one. If I had to say a couple I would say A Bend in the Road and The Guardian to start. You know a lot of his books have been made into movies too. I'm waiting for his new one from the library. I have so much other stuff to read that I'm being patient this time.

Ramya said...

don't even get me started on the library list.. i keep putting books on hold and then i don't pick them up coz i have way too many to finish at home! that's my crib for the day:)
thanks for the suggestions.. will definitely try to read them..:)

J. Kaye Oldner said...

I am almost done with THE LUCKY ONE and I am loving it. I really enjoy him!

Trish said...

This sounds like it would have been perfect for the read-a-thon!! I've only read two books by Sparks, but I LOVED The Notebook (one of the few books that I've read more than once and will read again).

By the way, how did the move go??

Anna said...

You're welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed the book.

I thought this book was good, but it wasn't my favorite Sparks novel. The Notebook is my fave. Can't wait to get my copy of his latest book!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Joy said...

Hi Ramya! At the moment, I can't remember actually reading a Sparks book, but I must have! :) I know I saw a few movies. I just saw a BOCD at the library and passed it up. Hmmm next time, I won't. Thanks!