Thursday, April 17, 2008

Memoirs of a Geisha


With this book, I finish my Eponymous challenge! It has been quite a short and sweet challenge and I have enjoyed every book in this challenge - The English Patient, Mistress, Funny Boy and finally this!

Well, I don't have to say much about this book. Everyone has either already read it or seen the movie. I have been a little slow. I finally read the book now. And as i expected, it was a beautiful book. It tells you so much about the mysterious life of a geisha. It is amazing how one 's whole life can be dedicated to pleasing and entertaining some one else. It is really sad that they don't have a life of their own. Spending every waking hour dressing up, singing, dancing, making pleasant conversation.. it must be really tiring! I mean, what if you just get up one day and don't feel like doing it? What if you just want to snuggle in bed reading a book? What if you fall in love with the poor boy you see on the street? Well, he doesn't have the money to become your danna but that doesnt mean you cant be happy with him!
But, the life a geisha is a truly fascinating one. It is a world of its own. This book might have its flaws. As Mineko Iwasaki claims, it might not be very honest in its portrayal of the life of a geisha. For that fact, I liked "Geisha, A Life" - an autobiographical account of Mineko Iwasaki written in an attempt to show that Arthur Golden was not writing about her in his much acclaimed book.
Though Mineko's book might be true, it lacks the thrill and the charm of Arthur Golden's book. His book makes the life of a geisha seem almost magical.. whereas her book just states the facts.
They are each good in their own way, i guess.

But, here's the deal. I am FINALLY done with "Memoirs of a Geisha" and now, I want to go to Japan!!

5 comments:

Meera said...

I'm reading memoirs of geisha now.. lets see :)

Ramya said...

yeah.. lets see.. you must tell me what you thought about it.. by the way, have you read geisha, a life? you should read it:)

bethany said...

I saw the movie, it was okay. Have you seen it? I am not sure I'll want to read the book, I just had a hard time with the concept...that they are pleasing men and living their lives for that sole purpose.

Laxmi Karumbu said...

Hi Ramya, Congrats on your first challenge.I read the book too and I agree some glamor has been added to what may have been reality. I feel maybe the movie would be like Umrao Jaan ..

Meera said...

Hey ramya.. have u read some of Kristin hannah's books? Try it. Firefly lane is the new one.. but she does have a good style of writing.