Thursday, December 8, 2005

Calcutta Chromosome


I expected too much before i started this book and I was totally disappointed. I had heard a lot about Amitav Ghosh and the Calcutta Chromosome and i really looked forward to reading it. But I just couldn't get into it. The book jumps between the US and India and also between the Past and the future and all that i got out of it was a jumbled mess! I am being totally honest here.
I couldn't grasp the story line. I thought the whole "futuristic" scenario was a little too vague. Some ideas were way ahead of technology hinting at many many years down the line whereas some others were so un-researched coz they were outdated even before i got to reading the book!
Well, i didn't really get a good grasp of the book.. but here's what i think it was about. The book begins with a description of Antar's life in future New York - a dark and dreary place to be in with almost no human interaction.. anyways, antar has a really cool computer Ava but he has a rather mundane job. 
One day while working, Antar comes across the ID of murugan who has mysteriously dissapeared. Antar, however, had met him before he dissapeared. Antar tries to find out what happened to Murugran and this where things started to get extremely confusing for me. I realized that there were multiple time lines in the story but it confused me totally.
Anyways, I am not going to write further about this book. Maybe, i'll try to read it again sometime later and see if i still feel the same way about it.
have you read this book? did you happen to like it? do tell me your opinion!

No comments: